To dice with death
November 4, 2010 § Leave a comment
Det sjunde inseglet, Ingmar Bergman, 1957
- Block: Who are you?
- Death: I am Death.
- Block: You have come for me?
- Death: I have been for a long time at your side.
- Block: I know.
- Death: Are you prepared?
- Block: My body is afraid, but I am not.
- [Death approaches Block.]
- Block: Wait a moment.
- Death: You all say that. But I give no respite.
- Block: You play chess, do you not? … As long as I resist you, I live. If I win, you set me free.
- Block: Black for you!
- Death: It becomes me well.